Followers

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Canning


This year with a garden I decided I needed to can the stuff in my garden. Boy, I didn't realize how much work it is to keep up a garden and then how MUCH work canning is.
My mom helped me can my green beans, since you do them in a pressure cooker. I was able to get 14 pints. We ate lots of fresh green beans from our garden too.
My next adventure was doing dill pickles, I grew the dill and the cucumbers in the garden. Doing the dill pickles was pretty easy. I was able to do 7 quarts.
With all the tomatoes I grew, I did salsa, we also grew the peppers for the salsa. It was so much work to dice everything up, and peel those totmatoes for salsa, but it sure is yummy. I ended up canning 20 pints of salsa.
When we went to Hogle Zoo, on our way back we picked up 1/2 bushel each of peaches and pears in Brigham City, so I was able to get those done. I think my favorite was doing the pears, they weren't bad at all.
I had some good helpers, Hallee and Blyss. Hallee helped me peel the tomatoes and also helped peel the peaches. Blyss would hand me a tomato, pear, or peach to cut up.
My next canning on my list is apple sauce, I'm going to Idaho, where my mom has the apples and stuff to do applesauce.

8 comments:

Angie said...

Way to go! They look awesome. I need to come have some lessons!

Jenny said...

I am way jealous. You have done so much work. Thanks for letting me pilfer the left overs in your garden. I have gone into your yard a few times for tomatoes for our dinner. Every time I do I feel like a thief. I always hope none of the neighbors see me doing it.

Jess said...

Looks great! I need to can next year; I just froze most of my this year!

Todd and Melissa Titensor said...

I really want to start canning! Don't be surprised if next summer/fall I am knocking on your door alot!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! They look wonderful. We only grew tomatoes this year and I'm doing salsa for the first time this weekend. Wish me luck...

Reed, Julie , Macie, Branson & Allie said...

Wow, you did a lot....they look great!

Annette said...

Wow, you are good. I wish I was there. I've kind of given up on canning for this year. I need someone to teach me.

Erica Bazil said...

Good for you! So what is your recipe for salsa? I made some last year and it wasn't Ty's favorite - he likes it hotter so I thought maybe next year I'd try a different recipe. Do you like yours? My mom used to always bring home corn and fruit from Utah to can and freeze - you live in a great spot for that stuff too. I'm sure you feel so accomplished to be able to do things like that - it's great learning new skills. Yeah, next year my goal is to freeze corn and make applesauce (both Ty and I love your mom's)and maybe do more salsa and fruit. Good job!