Followers

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Our First Garden







This year was our first chance of growing a garden. We were worried that it wouldn't turn out, but it is actually doing really great. The corn might not get tall enough or produce- but we will wait and see. We planted our garden the same time that we planted our grass seed, just a couple days later it rained and rained for weeks, our grass seed washed into our garden, so we had grass growing all over, I had to dig up the grass and still have too. The only thing that didn't make it was the onions, because I couldn't tell the difference between them and the grass, and just dug them up. It is so fun to go out everyday and see how it is growing, to see things get big, and see something coming on new each day. I hope to can green beans, make dill pickles, and salsa (if anyone has a good recipe for salsa to can, please let me know- I don't have one!!!) Right now we are enjoying salad, zuccini, peas, and cucumbers.



By the way neighbors, I have plenty of lettuce and zuccini- if you want some please let me know- it will just go bad otherwise.

7 comments:

Sara said...

I have a really yummy recipe for bottled salsa. It's from my cousin. Leave your email on my blog and I'll send it to you!

Sara

Jenny said...

i will have to take you up on that offer. i look in my back window and see your beautiful garden and feel bad for myself that we didn't get our garden in this year.

it looks great.

Erica Bazil said...

We hope to plant a garden next year - I figured I'd figure things out and do some learning/reading this year so that I can give it a good shot next year. I don't exactly have a green thumb so call me crazy, but I'm nervous I'll just ruin everything. We'll see I guess. Yours looks great - nice big space for it too.

Trisha said...

I think it is great that you even put a garden in this year! With everything else you've been doing in the yard. We hope to have one in next year.

I have my mom's salsa recipe for salsa that I will write down for you. I can't remember if it calls for, but it might work?

Rachel said...

How fun! I think your garden is bigger than our entire yard!! I tried out a salsa recipe last year, not so good it turned out like ketchup with a few peppers and onions. The good thing is the kids love it.

Sid and Kelli said...

great job on the garden- I've don't attempt corn because it doesn't grow for me but I'm happy yours is growing- About the spray park- it is free!

Veda said...

Looks Great. So nice and green!